VISISIONSHARE (blog header)_edited

Saturday, April 23, 2011

SHOPPING



The photos are from 1989 in the US but nowadays they are a common scene in Brazil and across the world. In Brazil, the adopted word for a mall is SHOPPING. They certainly got that right. I recall the days of emerging consumer culture well. Soon, Rio Branco will be getting is first modern large shopping mall and I'm sure it will be full of photo-ops. So stayed tuned.


Here are some notes from the photographer:

About this project

In 1989, following in the footsteps of Robert Frank, Garry Winogrand, and William  Eggleston, I drove across the country and documented malls across America.  I had a cheap Nikon FG-20 and an even cheaper lens - but I had a lot of passion.

I shot about 30 rolls of slide film in malls from Long Island to North Dakota to Seattle.  It was hard to tell from the images where they were taken, and that was kind of the point. I was interested in the creeping loss of regional differences.  I thought a lot about Frank's "The Americans" as we drove from place to place without any sense of place.


Read more at the orginal post.







No comments: